Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Charlie Morrissey workshop

On February 6th we took part in a workshop taken by Charlie Morrissey which I really enjoyed! There was a main focus on contact improvisation which explored for most of the session. I felt like I got a lot out of this workshop and experienced some new ways of moving and explored some new images while doing so that I can use in the future while improvising or choreographing.

We warmed up by using several different improvisational scores, which Charlie devised for us. They were fairly fast paced which engaged my attention. Tasks involved melting into the floor, rolling on the floor, sliding across the floor, using contact to take others into melting on the floor with us, running, walking, and stillness. While doing this I had to particularly focus on spatial awareness, using all the space, using a variety of levels, and also being aware of my breath and how I was using my weight to influence my movement.

While using all these aspects to travel from one end of the room to the other in duets, I felt I experienced new ways of moving and exploring. Usually I find contact work quite challenging to keep focused and take risks however I felt a lot more relaxed and engaged after doing the warm up scores. We changed partners several times which enabled a new experience every time I travelled the space.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this class too, and like you I found the fast paced environment really kept me engaged and focused for the entire class :)

    ReplyDelete