Sunday, 27 May 2012

Being part of Recapture Dance Company

In my second term I was fortunate enough to be asked to take part in a dance film based project by Recapture Dance Company, formed by two third year students at Coventry University Melanie Davies and Kirstin Bardwell.

The pieces were filmed at Coombe Abbey, and then edited to create an installation piece with three screens showing the footage to audiences.

During the filming we were asked to improvise in different areas of coombe abbey, with a focus on the nature around us- such as the sounds, colours, and textures. Another aspect we focused on to influence our movement was the principles from Skinner Releasing Technique.

I really enjoyed being part of the company and being able to explore movement on site, with people I had not worked with before. I found that the way I moved was easily influenced by the space I was in, and I found new ways to do so. The final piece looked really effective, and showed how nature complimented our dancing, and how we complimented nature also.

Being part of this had made me want to explore site further, and appreciate the different outcomes when dancing in new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment