Sunday, 11 December 2011

The challenges of using speach during 'Walking piece'

I found it challenging at first to incorporate the use of speech within performance, as I have not done this before, so I had to work on my use of projection and letting go of fear of talking in front of an audience.


During one section we had to take it in turns to say a word from this list in order, while using a stomping action, jumping on the window ledge, and getting faster..

SPRIGHTLY
TIGHTLY
SLIGHTLY
NIGHTLY
SIGHTLY
BRIGHTLY
RIGHTLY
POLITELY

In another section we had to make out way around the corner, while brushing each other down and taking it in turns to say a tongue twister, then pass it on to another person in the group who then had to repeat it as fast and as clear as possible..

'SHE SIFTED THISTLES WITH HER THISTLE SIFTER'
'PLAIN BUN, PLUM BUN, BUN WITHOUT PLUM'
'RED LORRY, YELLOW LORRY'
'WHICH WRIST WATCHES ARE SWISS WRIST WATCHES'
'SIX SLEEK SWANS SWAM SWIFTLY SOUTHWARDS'
'ELLEVEN BENEVOLENT ELEPHANTS'

In another section we had to describe objects while moving in a turn table motion on different levels as part of the loops, and during the second time of doing so we had 'evolving walk' short moments- mine was a jump reaching back to touch my toes. Some of the objects were...

Cake
Car
Apple
Lift
Grass
Door
Hair straighteners
Socks
Table
Paper
etc..

2 comments:

  1. I think the use of tongue twisters and guessing games was a really good way of persuading the audience to interact with the performance.It made it feel less formal, because we were allowed to laugh, which blurred the boundaries between performer and audience member :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite sections were definitely the tongue twisters & the guessing game. I think the tongue twisters added a casual element to the piece & I could really see all your individual personalities shine through on this bit.. I loved the guessing game as I think it involved the audience and made me feel as though I (as an audience member) had an equal part in the piece..
    Well done - loved it! x

    ReplyDelete