Sunday, 4 November 2012

Improvisation class 31st October

After a short warm up improvisation task on our own we worked in partners. We started with one of us moving for 10 minutes and the other witnessing, then swapping and moving in response to what we had seen, twice each. This then developed into just one minute moving each and then 30 seconds each.

I found that moving in response to someone with a diffeent movement style to my own allowed me to think outside the box and take inspiration, ideas, and explorations from their movement. In particular I could focus on the surfaces of the ground, and trying to get every part of my body on the floor. I also played with the idea of touching all parts of my body to sense different aspects of touch such as feelings, textures, and temperatures.

I noticed that during the longer improvisations of 10 minutes, it allowed my movement to be more like an exploration of my body and the space and what my partner had just displayed to me and how I could take those aspects of her moving further. However during the shorter improvisations of 1 minute and 30 seconds it was more like a conversation between us using movement. The faster chang overs allowed us to just respond immediately and let our bodies just react naturally without really thinking into it too much.

I really engaged with this task as I could push my movement boundaries by responding to my partners movement, and using new stimuli to do so. I felt like I had a full body awareness, and still brought in the focus of the breathe and being grounded, and a sense of all the limbs working together into my dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment